Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Fresh footage as Bernardo and Johnston kill off Dundee’s resistence

Just like their match in September Celtic hit the goal trail in the second half to run out convincing 3-0 winners over Dundee at Dens Park with the goals coming from Paulo Bernardo and a double from Mikey Johnston.

It was a first half of almost total domination from the visitors but in keeping with recent form Trevor Carson in the Dundee goal was barely called on to make a save.

Celtic ranked up the possession, forced numerous corners but there was little threat around goal with Liam Scales and Kyogo Furuhashi both sending efforts across goal and wide of the post during the first 45 minutes.

It was a testing period for the travelling support, those watching on Sky Sports were left more frustrated as they viewed replays of Cameron Carter-Vickers twice being manhandled as corners were delivered, firstly by Carson then soon afterwards when Joe Shaughnessy added extra muscle.

Celtic forced three corners in the first three minutes of the second half, typically nothing came from the deliveries.

Seven minutes into the second half the breakthrough arrived from an unexpected source as Bernardo weaved his way deep into the Dundee penalty box and found a way to stab his shot past Shaughnessy and Carson.

A mixture of relief and joy greeted the goal, soon giving way to concern as Cameron Carter-Vickers had to be replaced by Stephen Welsh, after the match Brendan Rodgers revealed that the defender had felt tightness in his hamstring without there being a pull or strain.

Celtic continued to push towards the Dundee goal, most of the pressure was applied down the flanks but Dundee’s three central defenders kept chances to a minimum.

Oh Hyeon-gyu and Yang Hyun-jun replaced Kyogo and Daizen Maeda midway through the second half but it was Mikey Johnston, replacing Luis Palma in the 79th minute that made the game safe.

Coming in off the left flank the Irish internationalist sent a low hopeful shot goalwards that somehow evaded Carson and found the back of the net.

With eight added minutes Celtic were able to relax a little, after waiting four years between goal Johnston added another just seven minute after scoring Celtic’s second of the afternoon.

There are clear improvements in the last two performances but not enough efforts on goal for the amount of possession that Celtic are enjoying in matches.

On Saturday the hoops are unlikely to enjoy 70% or more possession but coming out on top in the Glasgow Derby is all that matters to go into the new year with an eight point lead at the top of the SPFL table.

Bernardo and Johnston were the unlikely heroes of Dens Park, a repeat in any circumstances on Saturday will go down a treat and start to push the defeats from Kilmarnock and Hearts into the past.

CLICK HERE for Chris Sutton’s verdict on Celtic’s 3-0 win.


Show CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment